Most apps have a “logout” button that will sign them out of the account so they won’t receive notifications and to protect their account from hackers or a stolen phone from theft.
Unfortunately, there is no traditional method to logout of Kik Messenger, but there is an option to manually force Kik to sign out.
I’ll walk you through the steps below on how to logout of Kik, provide some information and tips on when you should logout and when you should just stay signed in. Finally, I’ll provide a walk through of how to login to Kik once you have gotten out of the app.
This may seem a bit complicated but after practice and doing it a few times it will be second nature to you.
Logout of Kik
As I mentioned previously, there is no logout button on Kik so you will be forced to take alternate routes to sign out. Follow these steps to get out of Kik and not have people message you constantly.
- First, you will want to open the Kik Messenger app and tap on the settings icon at the top right of the screen. It looks like a little gear.
- Next, you will have to reset the Kik app so that it will force you to logout. NOTE: this will cause you to loose all of your previous conversations. Below are tips to help with this.
- Tap on the your account button and it will open a list of options.
- Tap the reset Kik Messenger button to logout of the app completely.
- You will have to confirm by again tapping the yes that you want to reset the app. Keep in mind this does not delete your account it just logs you out.
TIP: If you logout of Kik using the method above all of your previous conversations will be deleted. Beforehand, if there are messages you want to keep you can copy and paste the messages into an email or something else by pressing and holding your finger on the message and tapping the copy, then tapping paste where you want to save the message on your computer or phone.
Alternate Kik Logout Method
There is another option if you don’t want to follow the steps above. You can simply delete the app on your iPhone or Android, which will force the account to logout.
- To delete the app on iPhone hold down your finger on the app until it has a little “x” on the top left corner. Then tap the x to delete the app.
- To delete the app on an Android device go to settings, then apps, then application manager. From there you will find the Kik Messenger app and tap the uninstall button to delete the app.
After you delete the app you can simply go back to the Apple App Store or the Google Play store on your phone and search for Kik and download the app again. Either of the two methods above works but it’s more of a preference which one you want to use.
How to Login to Kik
Now that you’ve learned how to logout of Kik I will show you how to login again once you have either reset your app or deleted the app. It’s pretty simple and straightforward. Simply follow the steps below.
- First, if you deleted the app you will want to go to the app store on your phone and search for Kik Messenger. When you find it, tap the install button to reinstall the app. If you simply reset the app, you can disregard this step and go straight to the second step.
- Open Kik Messenger and you will see an option to create an account or login to your account. Since you previously had an account you can just login. Tap the login button.
- Enter in your username and password and hit enter.
- Kik may ask you to sync your contacts again with the app, if you want to use the Address Book Matching option you should tap yes to have Kik search through your contacts and sync the ones that have a Kik account onto the app.
It’s that simple to get everything back to the way it was before. Granted, without your previous messages as those will be wiped when you reset the app. Also, your settings will go back to the default settings so you may need to change them again.
TIP: Depending on why you want to logout of Kik you may want to take other options. You can silent your phone if the messages notification sound is bothering you. Also, you could turn off the notifications in your notification center if you don’t want to be told when you get a message. Finally, if you want to logout because someone is bothering you, simply block the person and report them to Kik. That will keep them from being able to message you.
Know of any other good methods to logout of Kik Messenger? If so, let us know below so we can try it out and our readers can try that method too. Let us know if you have any other questions about the guide above, we’re happy to answer them.