The best way to make new friends on the Kik Messenger app is to head over to social media and say: Kikme. It is really as simple as that. Once you do that, it will not take long at all before you start getting lots of chat requests from new people. When something seems that easy it is normal to get a little bit suspicious about it. It is completely understandable to wonder if “kikme” is safe.
As you can imagine the answer to the question: “is Kikme safe?” is quite complex and full of nuance. That is why we have decided to devote a whole article to this question. In this article, we will explain everything that is involved in Kikme, particularly those considerations that have a direct link to your online privacy and safety.
What Is Kikme?
The first thing that we would need to clarify before we go on to discuss the ins and outs of whether Kikme is safe or not (or to what extent it is safe) is to talk a little bit about Kikme in general.
If you were a long time Kik Messenger user you would have realized by now that Kik Messenger is not just a great to keep in touch with your friends but also a fantastic tool to meet new people and, potentially, making new friends. One must always be very careful when talking to new people online. This applies to the Kik Messenger app but also to other instant messaging apps, social media sites, and elsewhere online. Our advice in this section of the article focuses on the Kik Messenger app but a lot of it would also apply to other chatting apps and other sites.
If you just want to talk to people you already know, this is, obviously, the safest way to use the Kik Messenger app. You can do this, for example, by using the address book matching feature. This feature searches your mobile phone contacts in order to find who among your contacts also has the Kik Messenger app and add them to your chat lists. Of course, this only work if your contacts also have the address book matching feature turned on.
If you want to chat to new people (i.e., people you do not have on your smart phone’s contacts), there are several ways of going about this. The Kik Messenger app allows its users to search for other users to chat with within the confines of the app itself. You can do this by following these simple steps:
- Grab your smart phone or compatible smart mobile device.
- Launch the Kik Messenger app.
- Tap on the “talk to” icon that looks like a speech bubble, which is located on the top right hand side of your screen. This will open the “find people” screen.
- Tap on “search by username”.
- Tap on “search”.
- Type in a user name and once you find it tap on it to start chatting with the person using that user name.
Many users follow that process to chat to random people (or to talk to people, randomly, if you prefer). Others, however, prefer to use Kikme. Kikme is a very effective way of talking to new people as long as you use social media sites or apps.
Twitter, and Tumblr are particularly popular social media sites / apps to use Kikme. But also Instagram and Facebook are used for this purpose. If you do it right, you would be able to get the attention of other Kik users beyond those who already follow you on social media. How? Well, if you use hash tags (you can even make Kikme into a hash tag #kikme) and add as many relevant hash tags as you would feel necessary to attract the kind of people you are after. You can then choose to add your Kik user name or your Kik code on your tweet or post or send either your code or user name privately to those you would be interested to talk to. It is important to consider that as soon as someone has your Kik user name or Kik code they can start chatting to you whenever they feel like it. As you most probably know if you have been using the Kik Messenger app for some time, any Kik Messenger user can start chatting with any other user without having to send them a chat request or anything like that first (unless they are blocked, of course).
Do You Need To Take Any Measures To Make Kikme Safer?
Okay, so if you feel comfortable sharing your Kik user name or Kik code on social media you are ready to use “Kikme”. There are certain extra things that you should be aware of before you proceed with it.
Before we go into what those extra things are it would be important to clarify that the Kik Messenger app actually protects your identity. Whether you use Kikme or not, the Kik Messenger app will never share your telephone number or anything else that would identify you such as your email address or you social media profiles. This is why you were asked to choose a user name when you originally registered with Kik and created your Kik profile. Your user name is the only thing that identifies you to other users. Even your email address, which you would also had been asked to provide when you originally joined the app, is never revealed to others. Your email address is only used for address book matching but only if you turn this feature on yourself but it is never revealed even to other users that have the same feature on.
So, as you can see, the Kik Messenger app does as much as it can to protect your identity. Is this enough? Probably not and that is why you, as a Kik Messenger user, should take an active part in protecting your identity. Is this enough? Probably not, and that is why you, as a Kik Messenger user, should take an active part in protecting your identity. No matter how hard the instant messaging app might try to protect your identity and privacy as a user, you could reveal too much about yourself easily in the throngs of chatting. It is the easiest thing to do; you are chatting to someone you have never met in real life but soon you may start feeling very comfortable and may begin to say just a little too much about yourself. What follows is a list of pieces of information that you should avoid revealing online, particularly when using Kikme:
- Your real name: your user name should be enough. You should always pick a user name that would not give any clues about who you really are and you should never give any clues about who you really are and you should never give your real name to people you have just met through Kikme and have never met I real life.
- Your address: you should never tell people you do not know your address. The last thing that you would want is for someone you do not know to show up at your door one day.
- Your city and state: not giving out your address is not enough. You should not share your city and state (or province). Believe it or not, just this information together with other bits might be enough to track you down.
- Your phone number: there is a reason why the Kik Messenger app does not ask you to provide your telephone number and this is to protect your privacy. Do not spoil this by volunteering this information. Nobody knows your phone number in other to chat with you on Kik Messenger.
- The name of your school or work: whether you are student or you have a job (or both) you should never tell people you do not know on Kik Messenger where you study or work. Again this would make it easier for them to track you down.
- Your birth date: this is one of the most critical pieces of information that you should never reveal.
- Your email address: this may seem like a very innocent thing to reveal but if you think about how many different things you use your email address for online you would probably think twice about giving it out. If someone asked you for your email address on Kik, you should tell him or her that they could use the app to send you anything they need. Just remind them that Kik allows users to share pictures, videos, online content, etc.
Guarding your identity is ultimately up to you but Kik Messenger makes it easier by not using your telephone number, real name, or email address to identify you online. In summary, “Kikme” is basically as safe as you would make it. You need to be extra vigilant when you talk to people you do not know online, which is what more often than not ends up happening when you use “Kikme”. Do you use “Kikme”? If so, why don’t share your experience with our readers by leaving a comment in the section below?